Monday 30 August 2010

Wedding Anniversay

Before we married, Mr Smith used to ask me daily to marry him. I used to shrug him off with a "we are happy as we are " but still he persisted .... I finally agreed some 3 years later, when he asked me, under a tree looking out at the most tremendous view at my parents pretty little house in France. My only stipulation was that we would get married there in St Julien de Peyrolas.



So 12 Years ago, last week ,I got married to Mr Smith! We had a fabulous day. We were sooo lucky to celebrate our day with lots of very close friends and family in THIS beautiful little village in France. It is the village my parents live very close by to. It is also near to where said parents had their little camping holiday business, to which we had holidayed for many years.



It was quite an ordeal to get all the paperwork done, I had to visit the French Embassy in London and arrange for one of their designated translators to translate our birth certificates,divorce papers (we had both been married before)and all our medical papers - but we got them all done with only very few days to spare.

We decided to get married here because we thought we could have our usual holiday with a celebration of our wedding and honeymoon all rolled into one !



Before we could get married though we had to have a medical with the local Doctor - in France when a couple embark on a wedding ceremony and life together they must have a medical and bloods taken to test for any problems they may have when procreating - they also have a test for SIDA (AIDS). We went along to the surgery (with our little daughter, she was 2yrs old at the time) I think he took into account that she was ok and that we were planning to come back to the UK to live therefore he signed our papers - the wedding could go ahead!



We had a joint hen and stag night, visiting friends in their tents and caravans and all together had an unforgettable evening !



I thoroughly enjoyed my wedding day, although the whole ceremony was conducted in French and my ability to speak and understand the language is very limited, my new husband can speak and undersand the language very well, having lived and worked in the country for a couple of years, so every now and then when he asks for a special favour or feels that i should do a certain task, he tells me I agreed to do whatever he wants when we married ! I feel a need for my own personal translator at times like these !



We had celebration drinks and nibbles in my parents garden and photos taken on the spot where I had agreed to the marriage. Later in the evening we went to a lovely restaurant with our family and toasted our officialdom with lots of champagne.



Happy Anniversary to Us !

No comments:

Post a Comment