Sunday 15 August 2010

A New Hip

I have a new part in my body! A New Hip! A Brand New Porcelain Hip!

The whole experience started last Tuesday evening: A visit to the hospital to have a blood thinning injection, I attended the ward that I would be admitted to after my op and had the jab. The following morning at 7:30 a.m. I was admitted into the orthopedic clinic, nervously, I kissed my darling hubby goodbye. I was seen by a nurse - admitting who I was, how old I was ,and that it would be the left hip that I wanted mending. I met with the anaesthetist, when I said I was freaking out over the general anaesthetic he said he would be more than happy to give me a spinal block and sedation so although I would not be completely out of it, I would be completely numb from the waist down and very very woozy above

I undressed, popped the i pod on and whilst Mr Buble played through the ear phones I was drugged, sedated, sliced, cut ,drilled ,twisted, pumped hammered - new bits put in, and stitched up.

I was shown my old hip on the way to the recovery room it was indeed ready for the knackers yard. I am now the proud owner of a porcelain hip, a first for my surgeon, and for the hospital therefore my new hip is going to feature in a medimag !!!


I am now home. I came home 5 days after surgery, I feel very weak and very sore, very stiff and very fragile, but, I know that in the long term this operation should make my life pain free. I should be able to run around after my beautiful grandaughter Isabelle Rose. To walk my little dirty dog around the block and to High kick and dance the night away with my wonderful friends and family.

Thank you to all the team at the Chesterfield Royal and especially to all my team at home - you are very much loved and appreciated especially my new physio Miss Ellie xx

1 comment:

  1. We will soon be skipping and hopping and running again. Love you x

    ReplyDelete